Smoked Eggplant Soup with Zaatar and Kiri
A roasted eggplant soup, spiced with Lebanese Zaatar and made extra creamy with Kiri square portions
For the Soup
- 8 Kiri Square Portions
- 2 roasted eggplants, peeled
- 2 medium potato (you can use sweet potato), peeled and cut into large cubes
- 400 ml (1 3/4 cups) vegetable stock 1 large onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, grated 4 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon lebanese zaatar Salt and pepper, to taste Fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish Lebanese zaatar, to garnish
Preparing the Soup
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the water, salt, potato cubes, and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and cook for 3 minutes until the onion becomes soft.
- Cut the roasted eggplants into cubes and add them to the onion. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes, garlic powder and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the vegetable mixture and cook the soup for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. 6. In a food processor, add the soup mixture and Kiri? squares portions, then blend all together until the soup texture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Garnish the roasted eggplant soup with the Lebanese thyme and drizzle with olive oil. Serve the soup hot with bread slices.