Chicken Samosa with Kiri
Crispy baked samosas filled with Kiri Square Portions, chicken, and peas
For the Filling
- 6 Kiri Square Portions
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into very small cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 300 grams (10.5 oz) ground chicken
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) green peas
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground dried coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon old-fashioned mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Assembling
- Traditional samosa dough
- 1 egg yolk + 1 teaspoon white vinegar
Preparing the Chicken Filling
- 1In a large pot, cover the potato cubes with water, add a pinch of salt, and cook for 10 minutes over high heat. The potatoes should be tender when tested with a fork. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a large pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, the onion, and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- 3Add the ground chicken, crush it with a spatula and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the drained potatoes and peas to the chicken mixture. Mix all together with a spatula for 1 minute until well combined.
- 5Add the ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander, mustard, garam masala, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the chicken mixture and the spices are well incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat.
- 6In a medium bowl, press 3 Kiri cheese portions with a spatula until the texture becomes smooth and creamy.
- 7Add the pressed Kiri cheese to the chicken mixture and mix well with a spatula until well combined.
- 8Cut the remaining Kiri cheese portions into small cubes and add it to the chicken filling. Allow to cool.
Assembling the Samosas
- 1On a floured working surface, spread the samosa dough until it is 1 mm thick. Cut the samosa dough into squares of 10cm.
- 2Place a full teaspoon of the filling close to one edge of the square. Fold into a triangle shape then press the edges so they stick. Using a cutter, remove the excess of the samosas.
- 3In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and white vinegar, and brush the chicken samosas surface.
- 4Place the samosas in an oven pan covered with parchment paper and brush them with the egg yolk mixture.
- 5Bake the samosas in a preheated oven at 180C (356F) for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- 6Serve the chicken samosas with yogurt and parsley sauce.