Honeycomb with Kiri Cream
Fluffy bread rolls stuffed with Kiri square portions and walnuts, dipped in a sweet syrup and served with a Kiri dip
For the Dough
- 600 grams (4 1/2 cups) all-purpose white flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 300 milliliters (1 1/2 cups) warm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast + 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 medium eggs
For the Cinnamon Kiri Cheese Filling
- 6 Kiri square portions
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 125 grams (1 cup) Walnut halves
For the Syrup
- 240 milliliters (1 cup) water
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
For the dip
- 8 Kiri cheese portions
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the decoration
- 1 small egg
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Preparing the Dough
- In a small bowl, add the sugar, dry yeast, water, and mix well with a spoon until well combined. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, powdered milk, vegetable oil, eggs, salt, the yeast mixture, and mix all the ingredients together using your hand, until forming a ball with the dough.
- Cover the dough and set aside at room temperature for 40 minutes to rise.
Preparing the Kiri Cheese Balls
- Cut each Kiri into 4 cubes.
- In a plate, mix the powdered sugar and cinnamon together, and gently roll 2 Kiri cubes together in the mixture until completely covered.
Shaping the honeycomb
- Using your hands, form small balls with the dough. Slightly spread each ball until its 5 cm long.
- Place a walnut, kiri cheese, and roll them around to shape small buns.
- In a round mold (20 cm x 5 cm) covered with parchment paper, place a small circle (12 cm) in the center. Place the mini balls one right next to the other until a nice honeycomb is formed with an empty center.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg and vinegar until well combined, brush the honeycomb with the egg mixture, and top with sesame seeds.
- Place the honeycomb in a preheated oven at 180C (356F) and bake for 35 minutes or until its golden brown.
Preparing the Syrup
- In a saucepan over medium heat, place the water, sugar, and cook for 10 minutes until the mixture boils and the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour the syrup on top of the honeycomb and let it absorb for 5 minutes before serving.
Preparing the Kiri Cheese Dip
- In a medium bowl, place the Kiri cheese portions and mix them using a spatula until the texture becomes smooth.
- Add honey and cinnamon and mix all together. Place in a bowl and put it in the center of the honeycomb.